Here’s a list of what I like to do downtown when it comes to my free time which is again around wine and food. These are the places I go more often.
Favourite Classic spots of the city:
– Casa Guedes, for a pork sandwich with mountains cheese (although, Mr.Guedes sold it last year. But still worth it)
– Gazela, for the little spicy hot dog called Cachorrinho (it is more of a mid afternoon snack)
– Conga, for the Bifana sandwich. It is spicy, and it is more of a mid afternoon snack as well.
– Francesinha, which is a dish that most international people are not very attracted to, but you should try. Where to eat it is controversial. Even in my group of friends we disagree. I love to go to Capa na Baixa and eat the Raínha that has the sirloin steak.
– Pastel de Nata, which I highly recommend for you to get at regular Portuguese pastry shops instead of spots that exclusively make them.
Favourite Finer dining at around 30-50€ downtown:
– Gruta (fish only)
– Cantina 32
– Eskalduna Studio (a bit more expensive)
– Êlebé Restaurants
– Raiz, a great all around restaurant and perfect if you want vegetarian options (I personally love the octopus and the lamb there though)
– Restaurante Traça, especially for the Shank.
Favourite cocktail spots:
– The Royal Cocktail Club (classy)
– Torto (cool)
Favourite tapas spot:
– Taberninha do Manel (by the river)
– Rua Tapas and Music (downtown)